Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 6 - John Day to Baker City (80.8 miles)

Really hard to think about getting back on the bike today, after that long ride yesterday. Today was another tough one, as we had 3 passes to go through, with lots of climbing. So far we've already climbed over 20,000 feet since we left the Oregon coast.
This first shot is what I was told, are the Stawberry Mountains. Not sure why they are named that, but our view was spectacular. Seems like we have these great views all around us most days.


....not sure how the early bicycle settlers ever pulled these giant wagons around. They're huge!

The first of the 3 climbs out of the way......

....and the 2nd one down as well. There wasn't a sign at the 3rd one, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was twice as high as the others....ok, probably not, but after climbing the first 2 already, it sure felt like a long way up.

Our last SAG stop was right next to this beautiful lake. Made me think about my friends in Arkansas, and how nice a day on the lake is after a ride in the heat.

Just a reminder.....I am hoping to raise some money for the American Diabetes Association through this ride, so if you're so inclined, I really hope you'll consider donating through my Tour de Cure site. There's a link on the side of this blog page, but here it is again in case you're reading this on Facebook.

Thanks. Be sure to check back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment