Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 3 - Welches to Kah-Nee-Ta (65.3 miles)

Last night I stopped in the bar at the hotel in Welches and asked if they had a good margarita. This young lady said that all the ingredients were fresh, and proceeded to create a great margarita using fresh lemons and limes. After all that work for one drink, I had to get her picture.

Today's ride started with a 13 mile long climb towards Mt Hood. It was really hard to concentrate on keeping a straight line with all the breathtaking views in every direction.....


Then after a few nice decsents, along with a couple more tough climbs, we made a turn, and all the lush vegetation and greenery turned into sage brush and desert. Apparently between the coastal mountains and the cascades there is a very dry stretch here. Still some very nice scenery though.
Then after a screaming descent into the valley (yes, on this one, I really did come close to screaming) we even saw some wild horses getting some shade a couple of miles from the hotel. I'd have a picture of the ride down if I'd been able to take my hands away from the death grip I had on the brakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment